Back To Top

Get all the Latest Immigration News & Updates on ONE SITE!!

September 2, 2022

What You Need To Know About Transferring To A Student Visa

In today’s Blog, we will be looking at the conditions you must fulfill if you are looking to switch your visa to a student visa.

Not all visa types can be transferred to a student visa. If you’ve been in the UK with a legitimate visa for less than 12 months, you’ll need to prove you have sufficient money to support yourself in the UK. Your partner or children will have to apply separately to transfer their visa. They can either apply at the same time as you or at any time before their present visa expires.

The first criteria you are required to meet to be able to transfer your current visa to a UK student visa is to be present in the country. You cannot switch your visa if you are outside the United Kingdom.

You will further require to hold an unconditional offer to a course by a licensed student sponsor, evidenced by your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

Having said that, not all types of visas can be transferred to a student visa.

You Cannot Switch To A Student Visa If You Have One Of The Following Visas;

  • A visit visa
  • A short-term student visa
  • A Parent of a Child Student visa
  • A seasonal worker visa
  • A domestic worker in a private household visa
  • Leave outside the immigration rules

When Should You Apply?

You must apply before your present visa expires. Your university course should start within 28 days of your current visa expiring. You can apply as early as 3 months before your course starts. Usually, a decision is made within 8 weeks.

You should also apply within 6 months of getting a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

How Much Does It Cost To Transfer Visas?

For each person, you’ll have to pay £490 to extend this visa. To see how much healthcare surcharge you’ll have to pay, check the link provided.


This is the end of today’s blog update. We hope you found this blog useful. Please don’t forget to support us by subscribing to our newsletter and sharing this blog with your friends and family on Facebook, Whatsapp, and Twitter.

Recent Posts:

Prev Post

Canada’s Immigration System Gets An Update

Next Post

Home Office Has Issued New Guidelines For Permission To Stay


Leave a Comment