Guide To UK Civil Partnership Visa
What is a Civil Partnership Visa?
If you are a non-British national with a civil partner who is “present and settled”, you could apply for a UK civil partner visa. The term ‘present and settled” implies that your partner is either a British citizen or holds a settled status in the United Kingdom. For example, if your partner has one of the following statuses, you can apply for the UK Civil Partner Visa. The statuses are as follows:
- Indefinite leave to remain in the UK
- Limited leave to remain under Appendix EU or Appendix ECAA
- Refugee or with Humanitarian protection
What is Meant By a Civil Partnership?
A civil partnership is a relationship between opposite-sex or same-sex couples unrelated to each other. In the UK, a civil partnership is a legally valid relationship. However, to obtain legal validation for your civil partnership, you are required to register your civil partnership in the UK. If the civil partnership took place away from the UK, it must be recognised under the Civil Partnership Act 2004.
To register your civil partnership in the United Kingdom, a civil partnership document must be signed by your partner and yourself in front of a registrar and two witnesses.
What Are The Eligibility Requirements for UK Civil Partnership Visa?
To be eligible to apply for a UK partner visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You and your partner must be of age 18 or over
- Your partner must be “present and settled”, – as mentioned above
- Both of you must have met in person
- The UK must legally recognise your civil partnership
- The relationship between the two of you must be real and subsisting
- You both must intend to live permanently together
- If you were in any previous relationships, they must not exist anymore
- You must fulfil the sufficient maintenance prerequisite in the UK without resorting to public funds
- Acceptable accommodation must be present for you and any dependents
- Your English language fluency must meet the required level.
How Can You Fulfill The Financial Requirements For A Civil Partnership Visa?
You can fulfil the financial prerequisites by revealing an income of £18600 or more.
There can be different means for your income source, such as the following:
- Non-salaried income
- Salaried income
- Income of Self-employment
- Salary and/or dividends from a company where you hold the Director’s position
- Dividends and income from investments, shares, bonds, stocks, or trust funds
- Rental income from a property rental
- Insurance payments
- Income from pension
How Long Can An Applicant Stay in The UK?
If granted a UK civil partnership visa, you will be given an initial stay of 33 months if you have applied away from the UK. However, if you applied within the UK, then 30 months will be granted.
Remember that you must apply for an extension of your stay before the expiration of your visa.
This is the end of today’s blog update. We hope you found this blog useful. Please don’t forget to support us by subscribing to our newsletter and sharing this blog with your friends and family on Facebook, Whatsapp, and Twitter.