CLICK HERE to Register your Business with Us

final 01
No More Border Applications for PGWP

No More Border Applications for PGWP

In today’s blog update. We’ll be discussing IRCC’s Ending Flagpoling for International Students Applying for PGWP. So we highly suggest you to watch the full video till the end so you don’t miss any updates.

IRCC Minister Marc Miller has announced that international students are no longer eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) at the border. This change, effective immediately, aims to reduce the practice of “flagpoling,” where temporary residents leave and re-enter Canada to obtain same-day immigration services.

Watch Now

Impact of Flagpoling on Border Resources

Flagpoling has been a common practice to bypass the typical wait times associated with online applications. However, this process diverts significant resources at the border, delaying travel and the flow of goods. From March 2023 to February 2024, PGWP applicants accounted for nearly 25% of all flagpoling cases. The Canadian government is now encouraging applicants to apply domestically to ease border pressures and improve resource allocation.

** Willing to migrate to Canada? V&I will guide you in step by step process.

Encouraging Domestic Applications

The IRCC is implementing policies to streamline the application process within Canada. This includes efforts to expedite application processing and maintain improvements in processing times. By encouraging domestic applications, the government aims to create a more efficient and fair system for all applicants.

** Check your eligibility to Canada with V&I Canada CRS Points Calculator for free.

Understanding the PGWP

A Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows international students who have graduated from a designated learning institution in Canada to work for a period equal to their study program, up to three years. This permit helps graduates gain valuable Canadian work experience, which can be advantageous when applying for permanent residency.

** Want to work in Canada? V&I is here to help you.

Alternative Immigration Services

Temporary residents can still access various immigration services at the border, such as renewing permits, obtaining new work or study permits, and verifying permanent residency. However, the recent changes aim to reduce reliance on flagpoling and improve overall processing efficiency.


These new measures are part of Canada’s ongoing efforts to enhance fairness and efficiency in the immigration system, benefiting both international students and border management.

For more updates on Canadian immigration, sign up for our newsletter today.


Related Posts

Leave a Comment

Stay in the loop and never miss a beat - subscribe to our newsletter now!



11.2K Members

Join Our Group


Follow on Facebook


Follow on Twitter


Follow on LinkedIn

350K+ Subscribers

Subscribe on Youtube


Follow on Instagram


Have a Question?

Let us know about your queries by leaving us a message.