We hope to alert our readers through this blog about a new broadcast message from US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
Subscribe to Visa & Immigration News
Want the latest and greatest from our blog straight to your inbox? Chuck us your details and get a sweet weekly email.
The US Department of State (DOS) clarified earlier this year that consular officers could issue F or M student visas with a validity of up to 365 days prior to the start date of an overseas student’s program.
Regardless, ICE has explained in its broadcast that the new guidance doesn’t affect the requirement for granting Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status and Forms I-20. He further included the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), the fee for I-901 SEVIS, and laws dictating admission into the US.
ICE mentioned that students are only allowed to enter the US 30 days prior to the start date of their program, even if they got their F or M visa issued in advance. It’s important to note that
The start date of the program is written on the student’s Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.
- Types Of US Student Visas For International Students
- Health Insurance For International Students In The US
- Permission Of Employment For International Students In The US
- List Of Affordable US Universities & Colleges For International Students
- Top-Rated 7 Universities In The US For International Students
Any student who tries to enter the United States more than 30 days prior to the start date of their program will not be granted entry into the country by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
In case you don’t know, ICE is responsible for helping immigrants enter the United States without any difficulty.
Here’s a list of things students and school officials are required to confirm before arriving at a US port of entry.
- There is an active I-901 SEVIS Fee receipt on the Form I-20 the student is using to travel.
- The name of the institute on Form I-20 should be the same as the name of the institute mentioned on the visa.
- Students must refrain from entering the United States more than 30 days before their program starts.
Student And Exchange Visitor Visa Fee Hikes
Did you know the State Department published a final rule in March to announce hikes in some nonimmigrant visa application processing fees and student and exchange visitor visa fees? As a result, the charges for student and exchange visitor visas will be increased to $185 from $160 on 30 May 2023.
Click here to read more about the Final Rule on nonimmigrant visa fee hikes.
You may visit the FAQs page on ICE.gov to stay updated about any changes in the I-901 SEVIS Fee.
We hope you found this information helpful. Follow our blogs for the latest updates and informative content on US immigration.