The plans to fix the optics of UK immigration could mean foreign nationals interested in obtaining British Citizenship have to wait longer.
Subscribe to Visa & Immigration News
Want the latest and greatest from our blog straight to your inbox? Chuck us your details and get a sweet weekly email.
The officials at the Home Office are thinking about extending the criteria of continuous residence from five to eight years before anyone’s issued an indefinite leave to remain. Don’t forget An indefinite leave to remain marks the first step towards citizenship.
A few other changes the government wishes to implement include;
- Applicant must have worked or attended an educational institute in the UK for two years.
- A strict threshold of criminality will be enforced, which would require applicants to not have been convicted of a crime for at least ten years.
- The exemption granted to people aged above 65 years from tests about Life in the UK would also be lifted.
It should be noted that all these changes come after Rishi Sunak decided to make stricter immigration policies.
- How To Get UK PR Quickly?
- Benefits Of Obtaining British Citizenship
- Requirements For British Citizenship
- How To Get British Citizenship And A British Passport In 2023?
- Registering A Child As A British Citizen
He recently mentioned to a group of European leaders that dealing with rapidly growing migration should be prioritized internationally.
A government source stated that obtaining British Citizenship is more of a privilege than a right. Those who wish to obtain it should earn it by contributing to the country. The source further remarked on the significance of everyone being able to speak in a common tongue.
We hope you found this information helpful. Follow our blogs for the latest updates and informative content on UK immigration.