Family Members Of Foreign Workers Are Now Eligible For Canadian Work Permits
The expansion of the open work permit program announced by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada, or IRCC, to tackle the issue of growing labour shortages in Canada has become effective from 30 Jan 2023. As a result, family members of specific temporary foreign workers are now eligible for open work permits.
Who Is Eligible For The Expanded Open Work Permit Program?
Family members of the principal foreign worker eligible for open work permits include their spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and dependent grandchildren. It also applies to the dependent children and grandchildren of the principal applicant’s spouse or common-law partner.
Let’s dive into the specific of who can take advantage of the newly announced expansion of the open work permit program;
- It applies to the family members of high-skilled workers legally employed in Canada in TIER 0, 1, 2, or 3 positions for 6 months or more on a valid work permit.
- It also includes low-skilled workers legally employed in Canada in TIER 4 or 5 positions for 6 months or more on a valid work permit.
- Lastly, it is for the Economic class permanent residence applicants legally employed in Canada for 6 months or more on a valid work permit. Plus, they must have already submitted an application for one of the Economic Classes included in the IRPR.
How Can You Apply?
Applicants have two options to apply for an open work permit; submit an online application or apply at the port of entry if they are from a visa-exempt country.
We hope you found this information helpful. Follow our blogs for the latest updates and informative content on Canadian immigration.
You May Also Read:
- Canada To Allow Applicants To Skip The Citizenship Oath-Taking Ceremony
- Top 6 Reasons: Why Your Sponsorship Application Could Be Refused?
- Everything You Should Know About A Spousal Open Work Permit
- IDP Education Introduces A New Service For International Students In Canada
- Visit Canada On A Temporary Work Permit And Visa