Your SEO optimized title
You cannot copy content of this page. Please contact us if you want to know more.
. . .


New Rules introduced for Student Visas

After noteworthy recent visa modifications – from winding up the two-year post-study work visa to substituting the Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa with the Innovator visa – the United Kingdom Home Secretary, Sajid Javid, has begun to withdraw many of Theresa May’s strict immigration policies – starting with the Tier 4 Student visa.

Under the present Immigration Rules, a Tier 4 (General) Student is allowed to reside in the United Kingdom for six months after the end of their Masters degree, four months after the end of a 12-month degree programme or two months if the study period is between 6 to 11 months.

In his promise, the Home Secretary disputed that “it makes no sense to direct some of the smartest and most innovative individuals in this planet directly home after their time here”. In place of the 2 to 6 months students are presently allowed to reside in the United Kingdom after concluding their degree programme, the UK Home Secretary plans to bring back the Pre-2012 immigration policy under which international students were permitted to reside and seek employment in the United Kingdom for two years after completing their studies.

This strategy would then be on a similarity with Canada and the United States of America, where students are permitted to reside for three years after graduation. This policy amendment will optimistically setback the intense drop in student migration observed in the United Kingdom in recent years. For example, between 2011 and 2012, just about 30,000 Tier 4 students came to the United Kingdom from India, as compared to 16,000 students in 2016 and 2017.

Mr Javid’s promise to modify the existing policies, and hypothetically revive the United Kingdom economy and increase skills levels across the whole United Kingdom, has obtained warm encouragement from the education segment.

If you desire to work in the United Kingdom after graduation, the present route would be to substitute from a Tier 4 visa to numerous other categories such as Tier 1 (Investor), Tier 2 (General), or Tier 5 (Temporary Worker).

If you desire to discover about your possibilities or if you have any inquiries or doubts please do not hesitate to contact us via email or comment below.


Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)